Coding and Robotics
By Mr. Christopher Hanas
Coding and robotics will be a big part of our future. Together they’ll drive cars, do more intricate surgery, help disabled people function normally, explore outer space, as well as doing the usual manufacturing tasks.
We want to encourage your passion and enjoyment in coding and robotics as you explore the creative things you can create. During this course we will:
- Explore the MIT Scratch programming language which will be used to cover basic coding concepts such as variables, loops, lists and will even allow you to animate graphics!
- Extend your coding knowledge from Scratch to the Python programming language. Python is one of the most popular programming language for professionals.
- Use the VEX Robotics system and the coding concepts previously learned, along with the programming language RobotC, to interface software with a number of robotic sensors and controllers. This will also include learning to control a drivable robot!
- Learn how to control an Arduino prototyping board with coding. This will include the fundamentals of building a circuit with a breadboard and how to utilize various components such as diodes and sensors.
- Finally, you can create your own project where you will expand on a topic of your choice (Scratch, Python, VEX, Arduino) in order to create a coding and/or robotics creation of your own!
Mr. Christopher Hanas
High Technology High School
He spent two of his summers participating in the Rutgers University Research Experience for Teachers in Engineering, a program that provides the opportunity for teachers to engage in science and engineering research and support them as they integrate their research experiences in “green” engineering into their classrooms. During this time he worked with the Chemical Engineering Department and in the Coastal Ocean Observatory Lab (COOL room) at the Institute of Marine Coastal Sciences.
Mr. Hanas has a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and a M.S. in Telecommunications. In his spare time, Mr. Hanas enjoys spending time with family, mountain biking, fishing and playing guitar.