Summer Camp at Sandy Hook
Marine Science Program for Middle School Students
Hosted by MAST
Summer Camp at Sandy Hook is a hands-on marine sciences program with both lab and field work that explores the marine life and habitats of Sandy Hook's beaches and estuaries. It is hosted by the Marine Academy of Science and Technology (MAST). Click here for our brochure or here for a short video.
MAST began hosting this program in 1991. Wow!
If you have any questions, please call Mr. Valente at 908-433-8096.
The topics covered include:
- Marine Life: We will collect, identify and dissect marine plants and animals.
- Marine Habitats: We will explore inter-tidal beaches, salt marshes, estuaries, the holly forest, as well as the bay and the ocean.
- Physical Oceanography: We will analyze the waves, tides and currents along with their impact on the beach.
- Water Chemistry: We will investigate techniques for sampling water temperature, salinity, and dissolved oxygen content.
- Marine Careers: We will present various marine occupational areas as well as their educational requirements.
- Lab and Field: Each day will include both lab work and field work on Sandy Hook.
- Certificate: A Certificate of Completion will be awarded upon successful completion of the program.
- If you have questions, please contact Mr. Valente on 908-433-8096.
Dates and Times
We will offer four identical sessions:
- Session I: June 24-28.
- Session II: July 8-12.
- Session III: July 15-19.
- Session IV: July 22-26.
Classes will meet from 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM at MAST on Sandy Hook. Students must provide their own transportation to and from the Marine Academy of Science and Technology (MAST). Students should bring their own snacks and lunch.
The faculty for the summer camp are all members of the Science Faculty at MAST.
Tuition for the five day course is $300.
The program is open to students who will have completed the 6th, 7th or 8th grade by June, 2019. The students must have earned a B or better in the current year's science course.
Enrollment is limited. Applications will be handled on a "first come, first served" basis. Acceptances will be emailed on a "rolling acceptance" basis.
The application deadline is June 15, 2019.
If your plans change and you can't make it to Summer Camp at Sandy Hook, we'll provide a refund if we know before May 15. We'll provide a refund up until June 5 if we're able to find a replacement to fill your slot.
- Please fill out the on-line application. We'll send you an email acknowledgement that we received it.
- Please prepare a check for $300 made out to The Stars Challenge and send it to :
The Stars Challenge
PO Box 402
Colts Neck, NJ 07722